View Single Post
Old 22.04.2020, 21:21

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
RinRaman has no particular reputation at present
Re: non-EU to extend resident permit

I was/am in an identical position: non-EU PhD grad from UZH, finished September last year and got the L permit for job hunting. My L permit expired last week and they rejected my request for an extension. I have another month to either appeal the decision or leave.

Was your L permit given based on your PhD graduation date? if yes then the rules are quite clear: PhD grads have 6 months from the date of successful completion of studies to look for a job and this 6 month period can't be extended. It doesn't matter that you're still enrolled at uni- the 6 months starts the day you got confirmation of having passed your defense. Also, having money didn't help in my case at least.

On the other hand, if the 6 month period started end of Jan and took your postdoc work into consideration, then you should get another 3 months. I'm not sure if the rules meant for students who graduated from a Swiss uni would apply here though, although postdoc permits are also "student" permits in the migration office's eyes.

No harm in applying for an extension- but sadly there's no obvious reason for them to extend it if the 6 months is up. Good luck!