View Single Post
Old 23.04.2020, 13:17
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,249 Times in 9,884 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I agree. And think your last paragraph is a direct consequence of your previous 2 paras, justifying the idea.

The thought of possibly having more Steve Jobs because we offer them cushier start might actually not give them the incentive to start, in the first place. Meritocracy is tough but motivating, I think. And I know all about human intrinsic motivation, to the smallest atom of it. It comes from one's own responsibility, conditions are secondary and come from the outside, extrinsically.

I also think that the loudest voices about wealth distribution will be those who aren't making the money (nor own) that needs to be redistributed, it frequently is that way.

The question of "how much will we tax them" has a perfect Swiss answer.
The Swiss are by and large responsible and capable of putting the civic good before their own immediate interest. Thus in a vote they turned down a proposal to have more days off. They turned down a vote on basic income and they have turned down quite a few other bleed the rich and free money for all type initiatives. On the other hand they accepted the Minder initiative which was about transparency and fairness rather than about capping salaries as a matter of jealousy or principle. Contrary to what the opponenents of that initiative were predictiung, it has not damaged Switzerland's competitiveness, and Swiss companies can still attract good CEOs.

I think in many / most other countries, similar votes would have led to other results. Maybe the democratic and civic traditions of Switzerland show that with great responsibility also comes great restraint.

I don't necessarily agree that cushiness breeds laziness. Switzerland is a comparatively cofortable and cushy country. Education works. Opportunities are fairly well distributed. Different social strata mix much more than in other countries and there is a lot of social mobility. People with ideas and who want to innovate and start a new business can find the space to do so, even if they are poor. Yet all this works without huge amounts of free money being thrown around to oil the cogs. And this is not because of any government policy but because people voluntarily create a society that works.

How can you transfer that sort of civic culture to less functional countries?
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post: