View Single Post
Old 24.04.2020, 13:46
Forum Legend

Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does RAV support a career change?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I am your typical, highly stressed office worker, plugging away in a big corporate machine and have been for decades, too long than I care to remember.

As with most big companies, they restructure often and people get laid off in the process, and as I get older, more tired, and less motivated to work in this hectic and energy sapping mode, I find myself asking whether I would have the minerals to force myself into the next machine should I end up redundant.

All of which brings me onto my question: does anybody know whether RAV supports a complete career shift/retraining for lost souls like me? Assuming they understand and accept that the stress levels are having an affect on my well being. Just curious if you have experience of this, or know of somebody who has.

Many thanks!
I personally would refrain from career change, as you'd be starting in a field where you have absolutely no experience in. I'd rather focusing on building a second source of income, which you could ultimately replace your current profession with. There are only a few fields, where you can start with little or no prior experience with (lifeguarding, delivery driving, etc. that sort of stuff) and they may be limited because of age.
To answer your question, RAV does support a career change, granted you can come up with a plausible reason on why their funding of a course/certification will enable you to find a job REALLY soon.
If I were you, I'd talk to your employer and see whether you're able to obtain unpaid leave for a sabbatical. This should give you a break and maybe provide you with the chance to clear your mind and reduce work-related stress.
The following 3 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post: