View Single Post
Old 28.04.2020, 10:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,563 Times in 7,483 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The UK is far wealthier than Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain for a start.

UK will thrive without the handcuffs of the EU & the additional debts caused by CV
I could have agreed some time ago and I know where you're coming from, but reality had already proved, corona times more than ever, that wealth is a very relative thing and we can't function just by ourselves. Autarchic systems are somehow appealing though, autonomy and absolute independence at all costs, too.

What you may see as handcuffs were usually doubled by advantages really hard to object to. Everything has a price. I think we need to rethink the economic model within EU, and really badly and sooner than later. I am a EU citizen and directly and very interested in this subject. I'm not interfering here just for the sake of the debate btw. I am not anti-EU, but not pro-EU at all costs either, I am pro- a better EU.
Anyways, overlooking each country's potential and investing so little in fields that need investments so much was such a big mistake. There were a lot of catastrophic financial decisions and gambling with contributors' money because of the pressure that certain business groups have exercised. I can understand certain resentments, coming from both richer and poorer countries. I think we need to go back (historically) a bit and see where there have been committed all those mistakes that are the cause of current problems.

I know that EU as an economic block is a serious competitor that needs to be eliminated by certain interests, let's be very honest about it. Debating in good faith on the internet is very difficult. I know most people's here positions and can sympathise with some. You're one of the contributors whose opinions on economies I value, though I rarely agree with you.
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: