View Single Post
Old 28.04.2020, 13:55
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 17 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,085 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy a home or invest? I just reached 200k in savings and they are sittin

Quote:
View Post
Usually big banks promote their investments (not stocks but mutual funds, ETFs, structured notes etc.) you pay 3.5%-4% fee the moment you buy these. An advisor can charge 1% annually therefore same money gets you 3.5-4 years of advise. Of course it varies but this is to give you an idea. Stock advisors are popular in the US, not so much in Europe but the business model is good I think.
A big bank will do what you are suggesting for 1% annual fee, to cover safekeeping and advice. If you tell them that you are only interested in direct equity investments, they will respect that. What will cost you with them is the commissions on purchase and sale, which is what the OP has highlighted. However, a 3.5-4% fee on an investment is extremely rare (and the only case I can think of wasn‘t a suitable investment for retail clients). Any mutual fund and the vast majority of ETFs have management fees regardless of whether they are an in-house fund or not.

I work for a big bank, so am aware both as a staff client and as part of my job what we offer and how it is priced.