View Single Post
Old 28.04.2020, 16:00

Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Should I buy a home or invest? I just reached 200k in savings and they are sittin

Quote:
View Post
A big bank will do what you are suggesting for 1% annual fee, to cover safekeeping and advice. If you tell them that you are only interested in direct equity investments, they will respect that. What will cost you with them is the commissions on purchase and sale, which is what the OP has highlighted. However, a 3.5-4% fee on an investment is extremely rare (and the only case I can think of wasn‘t a suitable investment for retail clients). Any mutual fund and the vast majority of ETFs have management fees regardless of whether they are an in-house fund or not.

I work for a big bank, so am aware both as a staff client and as part of my job what we offer and how it is priced.
I used to work at an investment bank and we issued billions of EURs of retail products and the fees were at least 3.5%-4% (depending on the product). I know because I have seen the pricing details. Then again you need to have some knowledge how the products work since many fees are build in the product.

There is absolutely no way that a bank is more cost effective. If you just want to trade stocks fees are 10x comparing to fees of a discount broker. Banks have the benefit or the retail branches some people feel more comfortable to invest with the local bankers.