View Single Post
Old 29.04.2020, 08:56
Forum Legend

Groaned at 276 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 17,712 Times in 7,476 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy a home or invest? I just reached 200k in savings and they are sittin

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for the answer!
If I don't go with the House buying route, the idea of buying 1/2 properties to rent out seems the most appealing one.
Could I ask you more informations about this, or a pointer where I can find more info?
Mainly about:
-how can I know if the price of the property is right, based on how much it would rent out for? Is there a magic number I need to look for?
-what are some hidden expenses? Or the ones that you talk about are all I can expect? and if you talk numbers, could you show me a classic example, for a flat that costs X to buy, and rents for Y, with yearly Z expenses, so I have an idea of the return.

Thank you very much
rule of thumb is that the property should not cost more than 200 times the monthly rent. preferably not more than 120 times the monthly rent. obviously, at current valuations, there are few properties suitable for rental investment.
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post: