View Single Post
Old 30.04.2020, 08:31
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 164 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,059 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Experience with HEOS, Musiccast, BluOS

Quote:
View Post
Hello

I'm looking to buy new network player, but in forums/videos, I cannot find good description of apps which control music streaming.
My interests:
- play own music (CDs converted to FLAC) from NAS
- Spotify (and possibly Amazon Music HD when it come to CH)
- Internet Radio (TuneIn)
No interest:
- muti-room playing music
- Sonos

So, I have heard good and bad points about each app, but I'm wondering if someone has experience, especially with Bluesound and HEOS.
All thoughts, recommendations are wellcome

Looking forward to some answers :-)
Short story: get a cheap Raspberry pi 4 (CHF 40) with a Hifiberry Digi+ (CHF 40). Install Volumio (free) and then link it to your NAS, Spotify, radio stations...whatever. Connect it to your DAC, amp and speakers and you're in for a treat.
Long story: I was in the same boat like you a while ago. Auditioned the old BlueSound node, never liked the sound, it's, exaggerating to get the message across, like coming from a tin box. Thin, lacking soundstage. HEOS has an entirely different problem: it's for AVRs, not for proper hi fi. If you've tested how an AVR plays music vs. a proper two channel amp on the same system you'll know the difference immediately. I've now settled on the Raspberry feeding my RME ADI 2 DAC, which is nothing short of an exceptional DAC beating hands down the Chord and then to my amp.
The following 2 users would like to thank gaburko for this useful post: