Thread: Nurse
View Single Post
Old 06.05.2020, 21:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 60 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 9,495 Times in 3,917 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nurse

Quote:
View Post
Hello!

I am currently living in Switzerland. I'm a Registered Nurse in my country. I'm currently doing a nursing assistant internship in a Nursing Home. I already asked Swiss Red Cross for the process on how to have my diploma recognize. I am studying a B1 Course for the foreign speakers and will do the ''Pflegehelferin Kurs''.

I'm enjoying my internship in the nursing home but there are days when some of my colleagues make fun of me because sometimes I don't understand the Swiss German dialect. Sometimes it takes its toll on me and I'm having second thoughts on taking my chances in other English speaking countries. Do you think I should pursue a nursing career here? Can you recommend other English speaking jobs (related to nursing)?

Thank you!
Learning a language is hard work, and tiring. Be nice to yourself, and let yourself have a break after a long day at work.

But please take courage, and persevere. The better your German gets, the less anyone will have occasion to laugh at you. And the easier your life as a whole becomes, not just your work environment.

You do not have to be competent in speaking Swiss German yourself, only in High German. And with time, you will discover that the better your command of spoken and written High German, and your comprehension of it when reading and listening, the more your brain will start to relax when engaged in a conversation in High German, and that will allow you to hear and gradually understand the Swiss German speakers. Until then, just ask them politely to please repeat what they said in High German. If you continue to work at it, one day you'll suddenly realised the joy of no longer needing to make that request.

All sorts of work in nursing, and any job even vaguely related to it or using some of the same skill sets (for example, carer, private chauffeur, nanny, social worker, child-minder, doctor's receptionist, medical lab technician, or research assistant, massage therapist) in Switzerland will involve speaking the local language. You will need to understand your patients/clients/work colleagues. So it is probably very much worth the work to gain that command of the language, and get your registration.

There are many language learning methods, and a lot written on this forum about how to learn German, so if the methods you are using don't give you results fast enough, try something different. Nothing beats repetition, repetition, repetition, though, and practice, practice, practice.

As to people laughing at you: just ask them to explain the joke. You might actually be saying something that really is funny, and they you can laugh, too.

Don't worry about it. In all languages, there are words that sound similar but mean something entirely different, and perhaps you're making such a mistake without knowing it. I remember years ago reading a newspaper column of a man who had been going to the bakery every week to buy cheese tartlets, or so he thought, but he had actually be orderining little kitchen cupboards, withouth realising it. He was asking for two hot "chuchichäschtli" instead of "chäschüecheli", and he laughed hard when he finally found out that the baker had been tolerating his mistake for many months.

Edit: Being a qualified, Swiss-acknowledged nurse is a very good level to arrive at, and since there is still a shortage, you are highly likely to find work once your papers are in order, and your language skills good.
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: