View Single Post
Old 18.05.2020, 19:26

Groaned at 83 Times in 27 Posts
Brian1985 has earned the respect of manyBrian1985 has earned the respect of manyBrian1985 has earned the respect of many
Re: Finding out minimum salary needed to survive/thrive for family with 4 kids in Vau

Personally I see no point in moving to Switzerland to be average or just above average salary-wise. But, seeing as you're both Swiss I can see how you might want to. Do your kids speak French fluently or will they need to attend private school? That will be a major factor in your cost/benefit analysis. A quick glance on homegate shows quite a few 6 room apartments in small towns in Vaud going for 2-3k per month. A landlord would likely require a monthly salary of CHF 9-10k to qualify for such a place so around CHF120k. Factor in car costs/health insurance/food/travel passes and the CHF 140k probably buys you a basic existence for a family of 6. Most of the people I know, with large families, living "good" lives in CH (and I live in Zug where taxes are low) earn in the 250-300k range. This kind of money allows you to rent a nice place, run several cars, ski every weekend and take a few nice holidays while still making personal savings. I also know Swiss people with 3 kids living on CHF 150k who live in a small village, drive an old used car and don't travel for holidays. So it really depends on your definition of "nice."
The following 2 users would like to thank Brian1985 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Brian1985 for this post: