View Single Post
Old 21.05.2020, 23:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 499 Times in 370 Posts
Thanked 12,499 Times in 6,485 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Background Check Length

Quote:
View Post
I've learned that if you apply for an apartment, and you get accepted, you pay a fine of approx 200 CHF if you don't agree to the contract you receive, however I've been told background checks usually take 2 weeks.
Such a is void and no fee, basically for preparing the new contract, is owed. It doesn't matter how much they say it costs, and the fact that you signed it when applying is immaterial.

Quote:
View Post
However, in my case, if I get accepted but the answer comes too late, and I have to extend my current stay by 1 month, will I still be charged the fee?
The fee, which is void anyway, has nothing to do with this. Instead your rent at the old place would last one month longer, until the next cancel date. As a consequence you may have to pay both the old and the new place if the contracts overlap. If you can cancel for every month's end (are you sure you can, does your contract say so?) your contract for the old place would last until July 31. This would make it a bit tricky because the default handover date for that ending date is August 1st, which is a national holiday, so do arrange both handovers early and enable a smooth move.

I strongly suggest that you join the Mieterverband. Membership fee is ~100.- for the first year but that'll pay for itself manyfold, they'll gladly guide you thru the whole thing. You may also want to have one of their representatives present at (and handle or help handling) both handovers.