View Single Post
Old 22.05.2020, 14:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 175 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 8,295 Times in 2,808 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost of taking driving test in Switzerland by a novice/18 year old

There are several bits required here:
Eye test to send off form for theory exam
Theory exam
First aid course
Traffic awareness course
Driving lessons / private practice
Exam (IIRC it was about CHF 300.-)

Not having grown up here probably makes things a bit harder for him to grasp, so I would say he will need more lessons than the usual 20 most people assume to be sufficient for a younger learner. Technically, he doesn't HAVE to take lessons if he has access to a car with an experienced driver who is happy to show him around.

What I would have done in hindsight: find some old banger to practice the simple process of using the brakes and the clutch so I don't waste expensive instructor time on that. Only once they can do that, book two lessons a week for five weeks and go driving independently at least once per week in addition so you quickly get a good basic command of the car. Avoid busy periods and areas with difficult situations when driving on your own if possible, like complicated junctions/roundabouts during rush hour.

Then a few weeks of once a week lessons with longer outings driving with a passenger on a weekend and another shorter outing during the week. Stop avoiding potentially difficult spots. Ask the instructor when they think you should register for the test. In the two weeks before the test, do another two lessons per week (sometimes the instructor will suggest a double lesson, depending on how far it is for you to be able to practice on a motorway) with additional solo driving where you do lots of parking practice, especial parallel parking on a hill, a big favourite of Swiss driving instructors.

Continue looking through the theory while you are doing the practice as examiners will randomly ask you stuff like "if you are going up hill on a narrow road and a car comes the other way, who has to give way?". There is an app for that that a lot of people use to pass the theory, I forgot what it's called.
This user would like to thank Kittster for this useful post: