View Single Post
Old 22.05.2020, 20:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 498 Times in 369 Posts
Thanked 12,460 Times in 6,466 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out and asked to pay heating charges for entire year

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I recently moved out of my apartment in Geneva and all went well, however my Regie has added a line asking for 250 CHF for the heating charges. I only paid the balance of the previous heating period in October 210 CHF), so I'm sceptical about that amount. Is this standard practice rather than sending a bill at the end of the heating period asking for the exact amount?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Yes, demanding the outstanding balance is standard practice. The question is what amount is justified.

Because heating is limited to October through March you pay part of the costs of the previous heating period during the warm months. Some months will be missing for the current period so the balance should be expected to be higher this time, though that may be (partially) balanced this year by the lower need to heat (roughly 15% less degrès-jours this past winter). Fuel costs may have been higher though. If you disagree with what they want as balance you can always request an exact calculation for the period, that's your right.

If you disagree with parts of the état you could confirm receipt somewhere other than the dotted line by stating just that and refer to your remarks on the back.