View Single Post
Old 27.05.2020, 15:22

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
bergburger has no particular reputation at present
Re: How early can one apply for a permit with an offer in hand?

Quote:
View Post
One can stay for up to 90 days without a permit but if one *wishes* to stay for longer I thought you''re supposed to register within 14 days of arrival. I'd have thought you could move in December and initiate the registration. My B permit is dated from when I entered the country, not when I started work.
Quote:
View Post
One can stay for up to 90 days without a permit but if one *wishes* to stay for longer I thought you''re supposed to register within 14 days of arrival. I'd have thought you could move in December and initiate the registration. My B permit is dated from when I entered the country, not when I started work.
Yes, obviously I'm not an immigration lawyer, but this is my interpretation of the legislation that I've read. If you want to stay longer, then you must get a permit - and in the majority of cases people use this system to get an extra 3 months of job hunting time. However, nowhere says a requirement that you must prove you entered Switzerland 90 days ago, and in any case surely everyone applies before their visa-free stay is up as a precaution? Surely it's the motivation to stay longer that would take precedence. I did see on the Geneva permit form that you have to say when you entered Geneva (not, not Switzerland), but what happens if you were touring around the country first? My guess is that's to catch people who've overstayed their 90 days.

Ignoring the weird Brexit edge cases - this was really the question I was getting at. Presumably most people who move to Switzerland from the EU register a few days before the contract starts and they're issued a permit on the day (from what I've read). Of course in most cases those people are well within their 90 days, so it doesn't really matter.

In fact the law is quite clear (I think?) - and certainly my contract is - that you must have a valid work permit in place before starting the job. In which case, how soon can you get that?