View Single Post
Old 02.06.2020, 13:22
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,347 Times in 589 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Dual National: Brexit?

A question that I doubt has a concrete answer, so looking for opinions.

I have a few nationalities, and a few years ago, when I registered in Switzerland, did so with my British passport and got an EU B-permit.

Fast forward a few years, and soon I should be able to apply for my C-permit (under the 5-year rule).

That said, by then (in about 14 months), the UK will no longer be part of the EU. I thought I could change the nationality on my permit with another (EU) one, so emailed SEM...

Their response:
Quote:
Please contact the competent cantonal authority if you wish to change your nationality from UK to <country2> for your permit. They will have to issue a new authorisation for you.
So, now my thoughts:

- Will issuing a new authorisation "reset" my 5 year counter?
- Is it worth doing? The Canadians and Americans seem to also have a 5-year waiver, so one could hope that the UK will have a similar setup in future?
- Even if British-non-EU, I could apply to the early C-permit, and include a letter stating that I'm still an EU citizen...

Thoughts?
M

Last edited by Spinal; 02.06.2020 at 13:46.