View Single Post
Old 03.06.2020, 19:33

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
invalidusername has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Quote:
View Post
maybe there was a misunderstanding or she didn't tell you the whole story.

If she didn't register with Billag she would not have received any bills, so there wouldn't have been any bills not to pay.

Billag had an interesting system they used to try to make you sign up, including letters with intentionally unclear wording and house visits by people who told you a big load of legal BS. And there were quite clear rules that could make you excempt if you ticked ceratin boxes. The Billag agents tried to obfusiate these rules, maybe because they were paid on commission, in other words, the more people they signed up the more money they got. If you ever asked if they didn't mind you recording the conversation and if they could repeat what they just said, they invariably would not repeat it and instead find some excuse to leave. Been there and done it myself.

But technically, if you never replied to any letters and never let these guys sign you up to anything (or never answered the door to them), you would never have received a bill. There would not have been a bill not to pay. This is what I think is suspicious about your story.

Serafe in contrast sends bills and it is up to you to take the necessary steps to opt out. If you don't take those steps, you are on the hook for paying. Your only hope for getting away without paying is that they are too incompetent to follow up. That's nothing I would count on to be honest IMHO.

Billag was an amateurish sleazy setup. Serafe is serious and has the law on their side.
Thanks for explanations, it is in line with what I think...

To further explain the case: she and I were living in furnished apartments (TV and Internet provided by the landlord). We registered in the City Hall, and time after we received the first Billag letters (I can't tell if they had invoices in them, but they said "you have to pay this"). We gave the letters to the landlord: as they were furnished serviced apartments, we thought it was not for us to pay that. I am pretty sure the landlord didn't pay anything.

After moving to another place, and after seeing that experience, she didn't pay the rest of the Billag letters she received - same as with Serafe, they got the address from the registry, but didn't do anyting: she didn't register, or unregistered, or all, or anything. Nothing. And I know because I was following her case closely .

As you said, seems Serafe is more "pro" than Billag, and will probably enforce the payment till the end - but so far, there is no proof of that.

Old good times...
This user would like to thank invalidusername for this useful post: