View Single Post
Old 07.06.2020, 10:18
Forum Legend

Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,354 Times in 9,738 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choose the canton where visa will be processed

It's not easily done and I also suspect from reading that article that the reason he might have been able to apply to Zug is the course/campus he was attending.

The expectation is that people live in the same canton that their work/study place is located. That's not to say you can't apply for a new permit in another canton, but you have to ask permission to make the move.

"Art. 36 Place of residence
Persons with a short stay permit, a residence or a permanent residence permit are free to choose their place of residence within the canton that granted the permit.

Art. 37 Change of the place of residence to another canton
1 Persons with a short stay permit or a residence permit who would like to relocate their place of residence to another canton must apply for the appropriate permit from the new canton beforehand.
2 Persons with a residence permit are entitled to move to another canton provided they are not unemployed and there are no grounds for revocation in terms of Article 62 paragraph 1.
3 Persons with a permanent residence permit are entitled to move to another canton, provided there are no grounds for revocation in terms of Article 63.
4 No permit is required for a temporary stay in another canton."

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...232/index.html

It may also depend on how long you're going to be here as an exchange student as well. If it's only for a few months/a year then I suspect it might not be allowed, but I don't really know much about how the exchange student schemes work.

All I can suggest is that you try, but if you get rejected then you'll have to go through the whole application again to get a permit in Zurich canton. And that could scupper your chances of getting a permit at all.