View Single Post
Old 09.06.2020, 15:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,548 Times in 7,787 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it worth buying a flat in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Agree that you need to invest the money that is meant for repayment.

The alternative to paying interest is to pay rent and currently that is not a bad thing at all.

In the last few years and for the next 5 years my annual interest expense is less than 1 month's rent.

I've probably enjoyed the money I saved a bit too much, but I do have some Fundsmith etc.. I should be able to repay half the mortgage shall the interest rates go the wrong way.

I got lucky with my first property and sold it for twice as much. Without that I would not be able to afford my current place, and with prices where they are right now, it is difficult to find a decent deal.
i set mortgage repayments to be equal to market rent. that way, my housing consumption is transparent. interest rates may be low which enables many to 'afford' a mortgage. what many fail to calculate is that the total cost is high when you factor in high repayments from high purchase prices.
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post: