View Single Post
Old 12.06.2020, 12:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 36 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 26,503 Times in 8,182 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss apartments vs USA apartments

Much depends on the neighbourhood you choose, on the building you choose, and on who your neighbours are - today, and with changes going forward.

Just like in the US, and in every corner of the rest of the world, generalizations could likely paint a picture that ends up being quite the opposite of your own individual experience once here.

To give an example: My standard of living, taking into account type of housing available, the things I prioritise and neighbourhood culture here in Schwyz is far lower than my what I had experienced in several towns in the Chicago metro area. My standard of living in a ZH village was lower in terms of accommodation, but pretty much on par in terms of neighbourliness. The best place I have ever lived - scoring highest on quality of housing, space, personal priorities met and lovely neighbours was, believe it or not, Hong Kong.

But had I chosen different neighbourhoods in all of the above, the opposite could have been true.

The only generalisation that might be useful is that on the whole, Swiss society tends to value quiet. How quiet is defined and how it is brought about - enforced even, varies widely. And this can ge a double edged sword - you might relish the quiet, but you and your children could also end up on the wrong end of neighbourhood expectations, walking on eggshells. Or not.

If you browse the forum you will find that posters' experiences are all over the ballpark.

Best thing you can do is to research the areas, buildings you are considering as carefully as you can, and do whatever you can to try to gauge the neighbors' attitiudeds before you sign on the dotted line.

And then join the tenant association!

I see in your profile you are a Swiss citizen. Have you lived here before? If so, did you feel comfortable? If you did back then, you likely will now.

All the best with your move.