View Single Post
Old 14.06.2020, 13:37
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,905 Times in 8,421 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm non-EU (but with EU spouse) with job offer in ZH. What are my options?

Quote:
View Post
I understood it only takes 2-3 weeks to get a family reunification permit once you have met all the requirements (job, apartment, etc.). So yes we have 3-4 months to line up her job and an apartment but donít think itís necessarily a ďjust forget itĒ scenario. Or maybe Iím missing something?
You said your job would only start in Oct/Nov. I think if she's got relevant skills (including hopefully a local language?) she might be able to find a job in that time frame.

The family reunification is easiest but it's not the only way. 2-3 weeks does sound optimistic though. If your employer really wants you and is waiting until Oct/Nov, surely they can wait a few more weeks if your wife does find a job and it's a matter of getting paperwork through?

Otherwise you can still have your employer go through the non-EU hiring process. If it's a big employer with a lot of experience, the process can go faster than 4-5 months. Also your profile says you're Canadian, which is a "preferred" non-EU country in the sense that you don't usually need to get translations, apostilles, etc. in order to get paperwork processed here. That makes it go a bit faster.

Good luck, keep us posted.