View Single Post
Old 15.06.2020, 12:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,255 Times in 10,998 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
Macarons (according to Wikipedia) originally came from Italy and hence on to France.
They came to Switzerland later brought by a chef who moved to Switzerland from from Luxembourg, hence the name.

They are essentially the same thing, just with a different name.
That's not unusual - there are name difference for food items within a country too.

St1lemans is always banging on about Bolognese ragu and original, authentic recipes.
It's actually French (Ragu comes from the French word ragout) and existed in France, and in England, many years before reaching Italy. It travelled to England during the 11th century Norman invasion.
Obviously the tomatoes came into the recipe later as they didn't reach Europe to the 16th century.

I think we can all agree that Alpen macaroni is definitely Swiss and was probably thought up in a cold, bleak winter in the mountains when the larder was getting low and potatoes and macaroni were eaten on alternate days and someone decided, in the interests of variety, to mix the two together.

As apples were one of the few fruit that would would store all winter, I should think they ate apple puree with most things (potatoes or macaroni) to add more flavour.
But there still weren't any potatoes in Switzerland until after somebody brought them back from the Americas, and even so I guess it would have taken quite a few years if not generations before they reached the Swiss Alps and established themselves as a staple there. Likewise I am not even actually sure if you can make macaroni from any of the cereal crops traditionally grown in Switzerland. They were probably imported, and before shipping became so cheap, that would have made them a costly delicacy, available only to the rich. So Älpler Macroni must be a relatively new thing. At lesast in its present guise as a relatively low-cost and no-frills dish.

As for apples. I agree that apples are one of the few fruit that can be stored throughout the winter. But that is talking about fresh (or at least unprocessed) apples. If you move into the category, cooked and turned into puree, that category is suddenly much larger and includes most common types of fruit. So the choice of apple puree is not a totally obvious one here. In the adverse mountain climate it is easier to grow cherries and plums than it is apples, so maybe people there were eating Kaiserschmarren before they invented Älpler Makronli (even though I think the very thought would shock many Swiss today). I think the motivation for apples is taste rather than pure practicality.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: