View Single Post
Old 15.06.2020, 13:05
Banned

Groaned at 551 Times in 432 Posts
Thanked 23,700 Times in 9,578 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the Mohrenkopf a racist piece of candy?

Quote:
View Post
As for apples. I agree that apples are one of the few fruit that can be stored throughout the winter. But that is talking about fresh (or at least unprocessed) apples. If you move into the category, cooked and turned into puree, that category is suddenly much larger and includes most common types of fruit. So the choice of apple puree is not a totally obvious one here. In the adverse mountain climate it is easier to grow cherries and plums than it is apples, so maybe people there were eating Kaiserschmarren before they invented Älpler Makronli (even though I think the very thought would shock many Swiss today). I think the motivation for apples is taste rather than pure practicality.
I assumed the apples were stored whole and made into puree as and when needed. This would negate the need to own, purchase, or transport storage jars with air-tight lids and also the need to sterilise them before use.

How much easier just to have a tray of apples and cook them as needed.

Fruit that wouldn't store was just eaten seasonally.
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post: