View Single Post
Old 17.06.2020, 14:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 294 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 24,984 Times in 10,552 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The racial time bomb-USA

Quote:
OK. So what we're talking about here is armed police standing around with guns slung over their shoulder vaguely pointing in your general direction. Not _quite_ the image conjured up by your earlier statement, and yes, I've also experienced that at roadblocks once or twice in CH, but never elsewhere (edit: I suppose it's quite common at border posts, now I think about it) . But not what I'd call "pointing a machine gun at me", certainly never someone with a drawn sidearm ordering me out of the car or whatever, which is the sort of situation we're talking about here.
Friend of mine in Spain works in an office that is just across the road from a big government building. There are always two soldiers on sentry duty at the door of the building, with sub-machine guns on straps over their shoulders. These are not losely and non-chalantly slung over their shoulders as the police or border guards might do, but in horizontal position and with their hands on the muzzles, thus pointing directly at people who are passing by. It's not a very busy street so walking past there can make it feel very personal.

But after a while you grow used to it and even wave or say hi.