View Single Post
Old 18.06.2020, 16:06

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
aixsyd has earned some respectaixsyd has earned some respect
Re: Bought a defective appliance used - any recourse?

Yay, news.

As soon as this issue arose, I got in touch with the manufacturer, and had a very nice hour-long chat. Great guy, we got along great.

The manufacturer called me back just now. The seller called them, instead of calling me. The seller is furious that I mentioned to him getting the police involved (despite that being exactly what I'd have to do to press charges in the matter).

The manufacturer told both of us that not only would they have to replace the refrigerant circuit, they'd also have to replace the compressor. CHF500 in total before shipping both ways. They could not tell either of us if this is something that happened pre-sale, in transit, or upon my arrival. Though, they said that if the seller only plugged in the device and saw the fan spin and heard the compressor kick on, you wouldn't be able to tell that there's an issue.

The gentleman from the manufacturer was quite pissed off himself at this point, telling me that it is not his job to be a mediator between the two of us (rightly so), that he's spent way too much time on this issue already (quite right), and that its between me and the seller at this point (absolutely). He sent me an e-mail documenting the issue and the associated costs with repair.

The seller told the manufacturer that he'd be willing to give me half back, CHF175.

At this point, the seller still has not returned my e-mail. For what it's worth, what pissed him off so much was this e-mail:

Quote:
Please, I'd like to get this worked out as amicably as possible. I'm extremely worried that I cannot contact you. The next steps, if I do not hear from you soon, is to get the cantonal police involved, and I really don't want to have to do that, but as it stands, you have CHF350 that belongs to me.

I would be extremely happy to have you speak to my wife via phone who speaks perfect Italian.
First, I don't want half. I want the full amount. The unit was handled with utmost care in transit, and this issue is not my fault. IMO, he needs to prove the item worked when he sold it to me -- but he can't, because it was wrapped in plastic.