View Single Post
Old 23.06.2020, 13:44

Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaSophiaA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adopting a Dog from someone leaving the country?

Unfortunately, rehomed dogs are very hard to find without some kind of behavioural problem. The family will tell you everything is ok but there will be some issue 90+% of the time, otherwise they would probably go to greater lengths to take the dog with them.

I'd suggest you speak with the Guide Dog organisations about dogs that failed out of guide dog school but if you can only have a small dog that isn't going to be much help. With young children present, my recommendation is generally to find a really good breeder who can help you along the way, or to work with local shelters who can do good behavioural evaluations for you. It's tricky business taking on a dog from another family as they can hide problems from you quite easily.

Those are just my two cents. You can find a great rescue/rehome dog, but it can take time. Speak with your local shelters, get on Facebook groups and if you do decide to go the route of taking in another family's dog, I highly highly recommend finding a trainer you trust ahead of time who can help you with a proper evaluation. Try Anibis and Facebook for these types of rehomes, but do please take your time and be careful if that is the route you go as I absolutely have seen a lot of dogs with pretty serious behavioural problems rehomed to unsuspecting families who really aren't in a situation to deal with the problems.
The following 3 users would like to thank AnnaSophiaA for this useful post: