View Single Post
Old 23.06.2020, 19:00
Forum Legend

Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,422 Times in 2,043 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to Switzerland from France

Quote:
View Post
If It was to be Geneva , what are the advantages of living in france, working in Switzerland ?
Many people suggest this to me but they seem to fail to know the basic details : how does a frontilier worker declare taxes ? Can I keem my French med insurance ? Is it really fiancially interestin to live like this ?
what are the hidden downsides ?

To be honest I am not really attracted by this idea but it would be interesting to know a bit more nevertheless.
You can rent a house with a garden in France for the price you rent a micro-flat in Genève. Some people put a lot of value into this. You mentioned before that you value more a circle of friends than having a 2 car garage or a trampoline in the garden for the kids.

I think tax is deducted from your monthly salary (impôt à la source). Due to the high number of frontaliers, canton Genève came up with some special rules other cantons don't have. But you know French, it should be easier to navigate the bureaucracy.

From the financial side, it makes a lot of sense to be frontalier for part-time workers or low income workers. They simply can't afford to live in CH. For higher incomes, the tax rate might be lower in CH compared to France. Albeit, there's deductions for children, so the only way to know is to do the math, every case is different.

The only "hidden" downside I know is from a French acquaintance. He works at some place that depends on cantonal budget. He rents a small room in an ugly and very cheap flat in Genève for the address, but also rents a nicer flat in FR to live. The motivation to have a primary residence in Switzerland is to be perceived as better integrated and have better career opportunities. His personal impression is that frontaliers are perceived as less stable in the long term, and that people values stability at his job. Could be right or wrong but that's his bet.