View Single Post
Old 24.06.2020, 10:43

Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adopting a Dog from someone leaving the country?

Quote:
View Post

We would like to adopt a 1 or 2 year old happy, house trained, dog from a family who is leaving the country.

Our kids are still fairly young, and my family has taken 2 dogs in the past who have had to be rehomed with older couples for dangerous behaviour. So it's a risk we're not prapared to take at this stage in our life. It's something we would look to consider for our next dog when the kids are much older or have left home.

Any help of advice would be appreciated!
My first thought was exactly that of meloncollie. People who have put lots of time, training, effort and love into their dog will most likely not leave their dog behind but do everything to take them with.

Whether it is a rescue dog or a puppy from a breeder or you take on a dog from someone, a dog always needs training. Even if it was housebroken at the former house, when the environment changes, a dog might start peeing inside the house again or chew on furniture. You again have to train it with patience. You cannot expect the "easy route". You also must show the kids that having a dog is "work" and not that it is something that will behave perfectly and listen to you a 100% from the start.

I was 9 when I got my first dog. I was begging for one years earlier but my parents were dead set on not giving into my plea, until I showed I was responsible and would do my daily chores of taking care of it like feeding and walking. I've always kept that promise. So teaching kids that an animal needs taking care of, is also part of the whole deal.

Good luck, I hope you find your family dog that you all click with!!
The following 2 users would like to thank summergirl for this useful post: