View Single Post
Old 25.06.2020, 00:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK car in Switzerland for up to a year

UK insurance provides the legal minimum cover in Switzerland and is not in itself limited to a period like 90 days - that's for extra-mandatory insurance like accidental damage fire and theft. Insurance companies probably won't be impressed though if you've moved address. "Temporary" stays are allowed but you should check with your current insurance.

I insured my UK car just on the number they give you when you declare it at the border but it seems like it might not be valid until you get Swiss plates - I'm not sure about that as you need the insurance before you can take the technical inspection.

You can also get UK based insurance for having a UK car long term in Switzerland.

Many people (mostly wrongly) use their car here if they have a residence in the UK with the idea that they can hide their Swiss documents and claim to be tourists. This might work if you're "temporarily" in Switzerland. Being Swiss resident doesn't automatically stop you being resident elsewhere.

Last edited by Landers; 25.06.2020 at 00:36.
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post: