View Single Post
Old 10.07.2020, 14:24
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,372 Times in 600 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laws for reference calls

Quote:
Oh man. Do these carry a lot of weight in Switzerland ? Like they dont hire you because of a bad reference.
Depends on the company. I know of some people that put heavy emphasis on reference letters, others really don't care.

I didn't know this when I moved, and so I gave my employer a UK reference letter (which states only my job title, start and end date). The UK firm policy states that they will do nothing more than that.

This was provided after I accepted the contract in CH, and had started moving.

My (future) manager called me, and asked why my reference letter was so bad. I told him I wasn't aware that it was bad, and that I thought the UK firms policy was to provide only the three details. He quickly checked with my manager in the UK on a phone call, and all was cleared up.

On the other hand, I really don't care about reference letters when hiring. All I want from HR is the CV. If the person has worked with someone I know, I may ask said person some pointers, but the decision is made in the interview.

One thing to note is this also applies to the wording that a reference letter is not coded. I believe that it's now standard to say that a letter is not coded, but the recipient can still choose to interpret whatever they want.
The following 2 users would like to thank Spinal for this useful post: