View Single Post
Old 10.07.2020, 15:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 220 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,309 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laws for reference calls

Quote:
View Post
The reference letters are "coded" as they cannot be negative. There are "decoders" online ...
This would be the secret code the just about everyone and their mother knows about, a well kept secret!

After thirty years here, I can say it is myth. Employees won't accept references that might even hint to a code, HR is never sure if a reference is in code or perhaps it's not, then again it might be.....

Every employer knows that nobody is going to give you a bad reference and in any case it's easy to kick you out if it does not work out. So they just go through the motions.

During my working life I held 9 positions many at well known Swiss companies and I never provided a reference to any of them. When ask I just replied "Sorry, it is not my policy to provide references." and nobody ever pushed back.

But Switzerland is a small country where everyone knows everyone and the real references happens in the background. Countless times I've been called by agencies and employers asking me to give opinions on people I worked with in the past.