View Single Post
Old 13.07.2020, 14:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 219 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 15,225 Times in 7,826 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: expired product still sold

Quote:
View Post
First, as other have said it is not an expiration date. This would only apply to drugs and perishable goods.

Second, you would have first to check if those goods need a "best before" (Mindestens haltbar bis) date.
(They need one. Honey only since 2007)

Third, you would have to check if a shop is allowed to sell goods which are past there "best before".
(I think they are, but the seller is still fully liable that the goods are consumable)

Fourth, the place to report would be the cantons chemist. https://www.kantonschemiker.ch/

Fifth, how long a good is "best before" is not set by law or regulation but by the producer alone. They can set any arbitrary date. For honey it is usually 2 years.

Sixth, as others have said if it passes the look, smell, and taste test it is properly good for use.
Seventh, if you rely very much on the best before date, check it when you shop. (I actually just do that automatically these days).

It can happen even at big shops like Migros to find something out of date - the few times I had that, I just handed it on to a sales-person to take it out.
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post: