Thread: Advice on tires
View Single Post
Old 17.07.2020, 18:13
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
wpqs has no particular reputation at present
Re: Advice on tires

I did some research after Emil Frey attempted to sell me 12 new tyres with my new Range Rover (8 for the old one, and 4 additional winter for new one). I discovered:

1. There is no requirement in Switzerland (or EU) to fit summer tyres so unless you're doing lots of miles or worried about an almost unmeasurable amount of road-noise then consider driving on winter tyres all year round. I made Range Rover check this with both the Swiss Authorities and the tyre manufacture. The wear characteristics for summer vs winter tyres are very similar, though clearly winter tyres perform much better in the snow and ice.

2. The police in Vaud measure tread depth at the edge of the tyre, but in the EU it's measured at the middle. There's a big difference for low profile tyres. In fact my new tyres were only just legal. Again, I got Range Rover to check this will the Swiss Authorities and discovered that due to the EU agreements tyres actually have to be measured from the middle in Switzerland. This makes sense as otherwise people coming from Europe might have to change their tyres at the border ;-)

By the way, I eventually compromised with Emil Frey and bought just four additional tyres.