View Single Post
Old 18.07.2020, 16:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,923 Times in 8,020 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Adoption Thread - agencies to adopt from and advice

Quote:
View Post
Bit off topic....

I have just very randomly discovered that a course is now obligatory in Wallis, for new dogs owners, from the beginning of this year. https://www.vs.ch/de/web/scav/veteri...sen/hundewesen

What I'm not sure of, "new dog owners" does that mean if you get a new dog (and you haven't done it) or if it is your first dog?
Reading the VD Gesetz text:
https://lex.vs.ch/app/de/texts_of_law/455.100

Jeder Hundehalter mit Wohnsitz im Wallis, der älter als 16 Jahre ist und nicht nachweisen kann, dass er früher bereits einen Hund gehalten hat, ist zum Kursbesuch verpflichtet.

I would interpret that as anyone resident in Wallis over the age of 16 who cannot prove that he or she has previously owned a dog.

If you have previously owned a dog in Switzerland the proof should be easy: registration in AMICUS.

If one has owned a dog in another country but not in Switzerland I'd write the VD Veterinäramt for a ruling of whether or not one is required to do the course.

The course has to be taken within the first 12 months of owning the dog, however not before the dog is 8 months old.

FYI, there are exceptions to the course requirement:

Art. 5
Ausnahmen
Die Halter folgender Hunde sind nicht der Kurspflicht unterstellt:
a) Diensthunde von Polizei und Zollverwaltung;
b) Begleithunde von Blinden und Gehörlosen sowie Hilfshunde von Personen mit Behinderung, die durch den Verein "Le Copain" oder eine andere vom kantonalen Veterinäramt anerkannte Stelle ausgebildet wurden;
c) Hunde, die weniger als acht Monate alt sind;
d) Hunde von Personen, deren Aufenthalt im Kanton weniger als drei Monate beträgt;
e) Personen mit dem Nationalen Hundehalter Brevet NHB/BPC.

Also, even those who have previously owned a dog might be required to take the course if so ordered by the Veterinäramt.

You bring up a very good point, IM:

Dog law is a moving target. We owners need to keep an eye on our canton's relevant dog law pages. It's also a good idea to check the TIR website now and again. Things can, and do, change.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: