View Single Post
Old 19.07.2020, 19:35

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
rezak is considered knowledgeablerezak is considered knowledgeablerezak is considered knowledgeable
Re: Getting started with fishing - kids mostly

Quote:
View Post
Ok i get the principle here .. The kids were not aiming for small fish, that's just what they caught. If they caught something worth eating then we'd do that, that's actually what they wanted, to catch dinner.

Is it possible to do "serious" fishing from shore with basic equipment? Is it just generally frowned upon here, fishing for fun?

I don't mind getting a day license and trying to follow the rules but if it's too prohibitive, maybe i'll just take them over the border again..
Fishing for fun is definitely not frowned upon: if you consider the cost of equipment, licenses and the time you spend fishing - buying x10 amount of that fish in a store would've been cheaper. So we all surely do it for fun as a hobby The thing is, there is really a lot of rules and they need to be followed quite maniacally (fishing regulations are somewhat of a Mona Lisa of Switzerland's art of rule making, in my opinion).

"Kids wanted to catch something for dinner but they caught only small fish so we released it" is a valid situation and it is fair, but there is a catch: if the fishing that your kids are doing is clearly targeting that type of small fish, then your argument might not hold (e.g. they are fishing in very shallow water that is full with minnows and they are using mini hooks and bread, pretty clear what is happening). At the very least, you should be able to explain what type/size of fish you were expecting (i.e. the one you would not release). It will boil down to common sense and whether you convince the police.

Re what type of fishing you can do from the shore, I am not familiar with the fishing situation and specific rules in your area, but in general:
- some bodies of water (including Lac Leman) give you the right to fish without a license if you follow fairly strong limitations in what you do, but for kids with basic equipment it will very likely be fine (so no using artificial bait, spinning, etc.). But it is not suitable for all fish: for example you can probably catch plenty of schwale (roach) by using mais or maggots, but they are not very loved on the dinner table.
- you can buy a daily license and "unblock" full fishing possibilities. But if you want to fish for the "mainstream" fish around (perch, pike, felchen/coregone), you would likely need some specific tackle.

Keep in mind that, even if you fish without a license, you are supposed to follow all the rules, the most important of which: once you land a fish, the first thing you do is either release it or kill it (by stunning and gutting). Keeping a fish with you that is not totally dead is a big no-no.

I don't want to discourage you from taking your kids fishing though, just wanted to lay down all issues ahead I think that the best option is to simply speak with some fishermen in your area - or even better, with a local fishing store, they will be able to suggest you a kid-friendly technique/place and advise on the need of the license.

Quote:
View Post
If you want to use more elaborate equipment, or fish from a boat, you probably need a permit ("Patent"), for which you need to prove your knowledge (including how to correctly kill the fish).
That is usually true for long-term licenses (e.g. yearly one), but is not required for daily licenses, otherwise tourists or occasional fishermen would not be able to get one.
The following 2 users would like to thank rezak for this useful post: