View Single Post
Old 20.07.2020, 09:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,618 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Options/Paths To Permanent Residency and Citizenship for a USA citizen

If I were an American and wished to work in Switzerland, I might:
a. Determine whether I was eligible for a Swiss or EU passport through heritage, which would allow me to work in Switzerland.
- Some of the common citizenship by heritage schemes are: Irish, Italian, Polish, Slovak, Slovene, Maltese, and possibly others.
b. Look for an employer who would sponsor me as a US citizen only.

If I were an American and wished to work somewhere in Europe, I would review these possibilities:
a. Dutch-American Friendship Treaty (DAFT): This treaty allows Americans to set up their own businesses in the Netherlands and obtain a work permit.
b. Germany: Americans and several other non-EU nationalities can relocate to Germany and register with the authorities after arrival, i.e., you could look for a job/ set up your own business after arrival.
c. Austrian Red-White-Red Card: This programme allows non-EU citizens to obtain work permits in Austria. It is intended for highly qualified individuals. Americans are number two or three in usage of this programme.

A few EU countries sell citizenship, e.g., Malta. There's also the possibility of joining the French Foreign Legion and obtaining French citizenship after three years. That might be exciting.

More information on the above programmes can be found on the internet.
The following 7 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post: