View Single Post
Old 20.07.2020, 12:00
Forum Legend

Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses

Quote:
View Post
Normally I leave the spelling the same and just remove the umlauts & accents.

But when we applied for the Australian equivalent to the esta, I read the instructions they provided on accents, it said to enter your name as it is in the scannable bottom section of your passport page. Which for my husband had ae instead of .
Not in the US or even in Australia but in Gatwick airport, where you might have expected them to know better, the OH had a stand off with a jobsworth of a check-in clerk who claimed the name on her passport did not match that on her ticket.

She had actually followed instructions and left the umlaut off her name, which meant that it was different from that in her passport where it was transcribed with oe. We very almost missed the flight because of it.

Since then she has ignored instructions and always used oe and never had any trouble.

So I think the moral here is to ignore those who say to just ignore umlauts and stick to the spelling as seen on your passport or ID.