View Single Post
Old 26.07.2020, 10:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,973 Times in 8,027 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting to know neighbours in my apartment block

Chris, try to figure out local norms.

In a ZH village, 21 years ago, I was cautioned that one should not immediately introduce oneself, that would have been seen as pushy, especially for a foreigner. Rather one waited until a natural occasion for conversation came up, such as passing on the street. As you went then from smiles and waves to a bit of small talk, one introduced oneself. A few months of small talk, then extend an invitation for a glass of wine.

Moving to a SZer village was an eye opener; 16 years ago, before moving in one was expected to send around a letter of introduction to all the families in the Quartier, introducing oneself and give a short bio, photos optional. And of course, in the letter apologize upfront for any noise made and inconvenience caused during the move, leaving a number for complaints. Thereafter interaction reverted to smiles and waves, and geranium critiques.

Since then the pre-move letter seems to no longer be expected, I don't think any of the new (young) families who have moved in in the last 5 or 6 years have done so. (And now I'm the one of the few old ladies who still plant geraniums.)

Keeping yourself to yourself is really the order of the day; living in a fishbowl I think people need some psychological distance; not knowing neighbors compensates for the lack of privacy.

Of course and as always, YMMV. If you have already introduced yourself to your immediate neighbors, would you feel comfortable asking them about local expections?

Last edited by meloncollie; 13.08.2020 at 02:17.
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: