View Single Post
Old 13.08.2020, 02:44

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Berliner has no particular reputation at present
Working in Switzerland with a German residency permit (niederlassungerlaubnis)

Hi everyone,

this is going to be a bit complicated so please bare with me because I need all the help I can get.

I am a canadian citizen in my mid 20's currently living and working in Germany, I also have another non-EU citizenship which I am not using at the moment. I lived in Switzerland for a year during my studies but because of my canadian passport I couldn't find work there so I was forced to relocate to Germany. I plan to work in Germany for a few years or at least until I get the German residency permit card (niederlassungerlaubnis) which is normally delivered after someone lives and works in Germany for 5 years. I relocated to Germany in October 2019 and I began working in January 2020.

Here are all my questions:

1) What's the earlier date at which I can get the German niederlassungserlaubnis based on the fact that I began working in Germany in late January 2020?

2) Would I finally be considered as an EU citizen simply with a German residency permit card or would I still be unfortunately viewed as non-EU due to my canadian passport (even if I were to renounce my canadian citizenship)?

3) Is the German residency permit tied to the passport (citizenship) or not?

4) As a canadian citizen, is there any legal document from Germany besides the residency permit card that would allow me to come back to Switzerland and work there?

My short (long) term goal is to come back to Switzerland and work there without having to wait like 15 years for that to happen..