View Single Post
Old 14.08.2020, 14:36
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 2,488 Times in 925 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hitch bike rack / anhängerkupplung

Quote:
View Post
Is the car leased? If so you will invalidate your lease and will need to buy the car outright. Why don’t you go the roof route? Thule do excellent bike mounts for the roof. I actually have one for my X5. I was also looking for a solution like you were for the X5, but this was a much simpler solution. And yes, it is suitable for expensive bikes with carbon frames

https://www.thule.com/en-ch/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks
Concur. IIRC, any hitch attachment must also support trailer wiring (lights) so now you are installing an aftermarket tow bar and splicing into the electrics.

OP - I had the same issue with a Thule rack and my leased Volvo (XC-90). (even more fun - the Thule rack was for an american style receiver). Volvo did have parts to retrofit a non tow equipped vehicle, so I bought the parts in the US but had the dealership who leased the car to me in Basel do the install and recert. In hindsight*, I should have just done roof mount.

*Typical Swiss - even though they did the install and I worked witht eh dealer every step of the way, they still tried to jack me when I turned the car back in.