View Single Post
Old 17.08.2020, 22:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to maintain Mandarin in Zurich (canton)?

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

How do you guys teach/maintain your children Mandarin in Zurich (canton), while not being the Mandarin speakers yourselves?
We are in a situation that we will be moving to Zurich in 1-3 years time. Plan is to live rather outside Zurich city (potential for bigger property to rent for family with soon three children for "less") and commute to Zurich to work.

My kids started the journey with Mandarin in bilingual nursery in London and we would like them to carry on, as they do pretty good. We are looking for solutions allowing to support their further language acquisition.
So far I came up with below (I can drop links, but this is my first post in here and I am not quite sure about the rules re ads):
* a Mandarin nursery in Zurich
* au pair
* Mandarin language schools/classes (in particular there is one school having classes distributed across Zurich canton, with some interesting concentration in Thalwil for some reason). Is Thalwil a convenient place to live, commute and teach Mandarin same time by any chance?

The last thing, which came up to mind is Mandarin speaking nanny or person who studies in Zurich and is willing to teach children few times a week, but I did not research that option at all, yet.
Welcome to the forum!

We have a baby who we are going to teach mandarin to. Mum is a native speaker. I (white British) can't speak a word. We were planning to have our kids go to either the Basel or the Zurich school, as well as getting exposure at home.

I think the one thing I would recommend is to make friends with Chinese families who will do playdates etc. in mandarin. My wife's made lots of friends from within the Chinese community here, and the hope is that that will help the baby pick up Chinese more easily (we speak English at home).

You may well find someone in the Chinese community who is willing to give lessons. Of the Chinese people we know, there's quite a few stay at home mums who might be willing to pitch in for a few franks (presuming they are allowed to legally work).