View Single Post
Old 27.08.2020, 16:38
bungow bungow is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: GENEVE
Posts: 22
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
bungow has become a little unpopular
Re: Early retirement to the UK : LAMal and NI contributions

View Post
I知 seriously thinking about this now. But I知 confused between class 2 & 3. Can I pay just class 2 @ 」200 a year, and get entitlement to the full state pension? Would I get both the full UK pension & Swiss pension regardless of where I知 living?
You can pay class 2 contributions but there are conditions :

(extra from from CF38)

You can pay Class 2 NICs if you池e employed or self-employed abroad and if you satisfy the following conditions.
1. You致e lived in the UK for a continuous 3-year period at any time before the period for which NICs are to be paid*, or
2. Before going abroad you paid a set amount in NICs for 3 years or more (this will be checked when you ask to pay Class 2 NICs*), and
3. In addition to conditions 1 and 2, you must also, immediately
before going abroad, have been ordinarily an employed or self-employed earner in the UK.

If you satisfy these conditions then you can apply to pay class 2 contributions as far back as 6 years, and potentially back to the tax year 2006/2007 for which HMRC has made the following statement :

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has made changes to extend the time limits for paying voluntary NICs for the 2006/07 to 2015/16 tax years inclusive, to ensure contributors who reach State Pension age under the new State Pension system are not disadvantaged. Those affected will have more time to pay voluntary class 2 or class 3 contributions for the years from 2006/07 to 2015/16. The extended time limits apply if:

person reaches State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016; and
person makes payment by 5 April 2023.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bungow for this useful post: