View Single Post
Old 27.08.2020, 23:46
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 49 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,387 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS Card Reader Rant!

I've just looked at my UBS reader again because I wanted to check the current consumption, after all this interest. The batteries (CR2032) in it are are almost exacly 1 year old. I immediately got the message "Replace Batteries". I removed the cover and anyway did some tests. The batteries were definitely not dead. The current consumption is, incidentally, 7 microamps if the device is in sleep mode with the card fully inserted and 2 microamps if in sleep mode without a card. Both these discharge rates are negligible.

When I replaced the battery cover, the "Replace Batteries" message disappeared and the device functioned normally. I suspect that, after some time, the device simply needs to be reset by removing the battery cover (which breaks the contacts with the batteries), waiting a minute or so, and replacing the battery cover.