View Single Post
Old 29.08.2020, 18:47
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 460 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Planning to retire to the UK

Interested in the NI aspect of things. I have 3 years missing from 1993-96 as that was when I was a mature student, I had a p/t job during term which was f/t in the holidays but students were exempt from NI.
I looked into the gap during my last visit to Scotland earlier in the year and used the online calculator, it told me I'd have to pay 8k to get an extra 5 a week state pension so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I have 2 state pension forecast letters from HMRC with different amounts on them, one says I was contracted out of SERPs and the other says I wasn't. When I was self employed I had a 2 year long wrangle with HMRC because they claimed i hadn't paid NI for a 12 month period, turned out the payments were lost somewhere in a suspense account. I've also had someone fraudulently claim a 3.5k tax rebate using my name, NI number and a fictitious job title back in 2011. After i reported it to the police HMRC admitted to me that their systems would pay out with just those 3 pieces of info. The pension system in Britain is a total shambles along with tax.