View Single Post
Old 01.09.2020, 12:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Landlord trying to scam the nachmieter I found

Quote:
View Post
It will not fall back on you. You brought 5 potential "Nachmieter", you only need to bring one.
Potential Nachmieter is only half the story. The Nachmieter must also the sign the contract when offered. But on the other hand the contract must be exactly as it was.

The landlord is free to forgo a potential Nachmieter and chose someone else or increase the rent. But luckily that is the landlords problem.

Quote:
View Post
After making all the preparation for this, I now hear from the new tenant that my landlord won't send over the contract yet. But he is asking her to pay the deposit now. Of course, she says no. But he won't budge. He makes excuses that the contract is worth nothing anyway until the deposit is paid.
A house rental contract is not bound to any form it can be verbal (Safe some special cantonal rules like in Vaud). They applied as a replacement tenant and seemingly were accepted. The terms and conditions of the contract are known. It is exactly as yours. Please give them a copy of yours so they can cross check once they actually get there own version.

The obligation to pay a deposit comes from the rental contract. No contract, no obligations. The landlords view that the contract is worth nothing is wrong. On the other hand if a deposit is paid there is a contract.

On one side paying the deposit now buts the replacement tenants in a somewhat favorable position. This would be a verbal contract as a replacement tenants with the same conditions as exactly you have/had. Changing some clauses afterwards is no longer possible (Did I mention that you should give them a copy of your contract ?).

On the other hand it is a stupid, non-professional move and shows that the landlord has no real knowledge and might be a real PITA in the future.

With that said, make sure that all is super clean at handover all a minor blemishes fixed, holes filled, faucets descaled, and broken things replaced.
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post: