View Single Post
Old 05.09.2020, 12:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 155 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 7,923 Times in 2,937 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cycling in Zurich

Not to mention drivers who make a right turn at a junction where you are going straight ahead. Especially in winter when it is dark.

The other one is the bike hell Bucheggplatz - if you need to go from Hofwiesenstrasse to Rotelstrasse, you have to cross to to a middle cycle lane on approaching the roundabout, then negotiate the roundabout with traffic on both sides. I did that for a few months in summer of 2017 as I was working in Opfikon for a while. Gave up when it got darker.

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
Take special care of drivers using their phones and earphones while driving, in Zurich because there are around 3 policemen in the whole city they are like 90% of the drivers.

Also take care of other bikers using headphones, it is pretty common to see people riding their bikes with earphones even with huge noise canceling headphones. Because of Darwinism, the number of them will eventually start decreasing, but at the moment they are a lot, and they are very dangerous, specially the ones riding ebikes because they ride very fast.

Apart from that, compared with many other cities that I have seen, Zurich is a pretty safe city to bike. Hopefully even more safer depending on the results of the next referendum.