View Single Post
Old 09.09.2020, 09:30
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guardian rank Home Computers - OUTRAGE! RANT!

Quote:
View Post
The Spectrum was half the price of the C64.

A lot of people used them just for games and then the fact that the 'dead-flesh' keyboard was terrible was immaterial as people used joysticks.

A lot of schools in the U.K. had them as well as the BBC micros as it was much cheaper to fill a classroom with Spectrums than it was with BBC Micros.
It was easier to program, it was the right place at the right time, it was the follow up to the ZX81 so it already had a herd of users, there we're a to of reasons.

Yes the C64 wiped the floor with it - no colour clash, multi-channel sound, but those speccy games just had something, they had playability, they had an army of home enthusiasts. It just worked.

Also agree on the keys, Kempston II joysticks were the only standard that mattered.

Interesting comment about the classroom - my parents were both teachers and it was BBC's all the way at the schools, Model B, 32k RAM as the standard (which they brought home at the weekend which is where I really learned to program), I didn't think the speccy made too much impact into the education market but happy to learn it did.
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post: