View Single Post
Old 09.09.2020, 13:25
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,899 Times in 723 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Maintaining small house & living in the lower mountains questions

If I buy a small house, I will be capable of doing small DIY jobs but I am trying to understand the consequences of owning a house in the mountains (will have road access). Take this house as an example-

1) How does one maintain the wood? You just apply the correct coating every summer? How long can well maintained wood last before losing it's structural strength? Google says maybe150 years? I want it to last my lifetime only. I am in my 40s currently. My remaining life could be anything from 1 second to 60 years.

2) I assume one of the weakest failure point of a house like above would be the roof? How do I maintain it? Repair any damage ASAP before it gets bigger?

3) In case of roof failure, what would a new roof cost for a small house like above?

4) Insurance!!! How much would monthly insurance for a 300k house be roughly? Are acts of nature like landslide, rockfall etc covered?

Quote:
AXA Protect yourself from financial building risks with AXA's various insurance products. Whether fire, water, earthquake, or burglary: Put together your own optimal building insurance with AXA's modules.
Some negative points of living away from larger towns/cities-

a. Distance to Town
b. Communication
c. Weather and Seasonal Issues
d. Wildlife