View Single Post
Old 09.09.2020, 15:07
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 30 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 301 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maintaining small house & living in the lower mountains questions

Quote:
View Post
Those are also positive points ...
Indeed. Very real peace. And so many more stars at night.

We watch the deer grazing alone the treeline and wake up with bird song and get little frogs from time to time, plus the cats get plenty of mice to chase! The foxes are lovely, but they give no mercy if I forget to lock up the garbage bags or leave the BBQ grease trap uncleaned... There is also some kind of rodent that is notorious for eating at electrical cables in cars - maybe another EF'er can elaborate on this, but we finally had this happen to our truck this year which was a bugger.

The air is different, and so very clean.

The local water (here anyway) is better than anything Evian could ever produce.

Everyday is like being on holiday.

People smile more, and always say hello to each other.

We've had no significant issues with communication - either with the locals, the authorities, or reliability of phone and internet (in fact the internet coverage here is better than what I had in London!)

For sure it took me a while to get used to Swiss mountain ways, but I don't miss city life one jot. The weather can change on the turn of a dime BUT depending on where you're planning to live, there's something about living at altitude, and being above the fog line, or above the clouds, or above the town fireworks or level with the lightening that makes the occasional mountain storms and the work associated with snowfall worth it!

And sitting in an armchair, made out of snow, drinking a cold beer in warm sunshine....that's just a hoot!
The following 14 users would like to thank smileygreebins for this useful post: