View Single Post
Old 09.09.2020, 15:13
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,181 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to Switzerland and investing - help needed!

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your detailed response @HickvonFrick.

I'm actually in the process of opening a degiro.ch account. Is the degiro.nl account available in English? I read online that I could alternatively open a degiro.ie account. Are there any residence or tax implication to opening non-Swiss Degiro accounts?

I've seen Fundsmith recommended elsewhere on this forum. I know very little about investment funds - why is Fundsmith so popular?
Of course - I only suggest NL as Degiro is a Dutch company. There are no tax implications in opening an account elsewhere AFAIK. Fatmanfilms is probably the person to ask though.

Fundsmith is popular basically because its had strong performances over a decade or so, and the fund manager, Terry Smith had good performances before that running a pension fund. Its quite concentrated (25-30 individual stocks), which allows for significant divergence from the index. He believes that he is buying very high quality large companies that are well set up for long term sustainable growth and are resistant to new technologies being developed. If you are interested I recommend you watch their AGM video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZy9-4Z_4i8 - its very beginner friendly.

As I said in my last post you can't buy Fundsmith on Degiro as its a fund not a trust, but you can buy Smithson, which is for mid-sized companies using the same philosophy and is ran by the Fundsmith team. Its also done well so far (although is much younger - only 2 years old).
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post: