View Single Post
Old 16.09.2020, 04:53

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SwissTan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Serious Speeding - the law, the fines.

Hey guys!

After 9 years of being a good rider my time finally came.
I was riding my motorcycle up the Gotthard pass (on the Ticino side) to avoid the long queue at the tunnel. The first few kms are semi-highway (100km/h) and I totally missed the sign that signals the end of it. The road is basically the same, so one wouldn't immediately realize that the speed limit is different and unfortunately there aren't any speed signs at all that indicate the new speed.

I was convinced that the speed limit was 100 and I was doing 110 (according to the laser that got me), a month later I got the nasty letter telling me that after the deduction of 4km/h I was 26km/h over the speed limit.

I called the radar office and I was told that I'm likely looking at a 600 CHF fine and a warning, but I'm more and more convinced that they guy on the phone mistakenly believed I was on the highway because according to the information I gathered from this thread I should get at least a 1 month suspension.

So right now I have about a week to mail back any notes or explanation if I desire to do so, my questions are the following:

1) Does it actually matter if I explain the whole situation? I got caught 2km after the semi-highway ended and there were no speed signs other than the end sign (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.5...b1!4m2!4m1!3e0)
2) Would I risk in incurring in higher court fees if I attach any notes at all? I'd guess that someone would have to actually process it so it wouldn't just be handled "automatically"
3) Are there any chances that the minimum of 1 month is waived if I have no priors?

I was wrong, and it sucks because I just missed a sign... however the anxiety is killing me.